Sunday, March 7, 2010

Surreality

 
Let me start by saying that I truly did want to take it easy this weekend. I had every intention of doing so. Early Thursday evening Nelson picked me up after my midterm, which was unpleasant to say the least, and  we made the hellish drive up to Fordham University (that's East Bronx for those not up on their five boroughs), where we had dinner with our friend KoKo. Rumblings of a Saint Tony's "Surrealism" party had, indeed, reached my ears earlier in the day, which begged the question: to go or to GO? Which do you think I chose? S-S-surreal weekend begin in five...four...three...two...one...
"Surrealism had a great effect on me because then I realized that the imagery in my mind wasn't insanity. Surrealism to me is reality." - John Lennon
Rufus and I get dressed and head to 1020 for a few beers before making our way to 116th & Riverside Drive. We are early, but all is merry already. My plans for "sobriety" have ended after only 48 hours when I see the bar. "No worries," I tell myself, "you're fine today." Fast-forward approximately two hours. For unknown reasons, I begin drinking Gonzo's punch, a concoction which he should never be allowed to make again. 18 handles, 6 pitchers of beer, and a bunch of other shit: it is a deadly threat. I would like to personally thank him for my slow rapid demise into drunken oblivion. However, the punch was a delicious blend of only the best sorts. I also feel obliged to give a much, much-deserved "thank you" to Tao and Salts McGalts for taking the best possible care of me, and for not allowing me to escape down five flights of stairs at 4 in the morning.
Aaaand it's 130pm on Friday...wake up on Tao's couch, fully clothed, nursing a headache that could tranquilize a horse. It is hard for me to move. Water, water, need lots of water; wish I was the Water Boy. Chill with Tao for a bit, then meet up with Wholly Foods at my place before heading to Community Food & Mimosas for blunch. Blueberry pancakes! Yum, I never really eat pancakes. My cholesterol will no doubt shave ten years off my life...but I don't really mind. Hang out at 9 & 3/4 for a little bit, but it's already time to head downtown to Astor Wine & Spirits (339 Lafayette St.) for an Edward III Absinthe tasting. It is a very successful event - Astor sells out of all its Edward III bottles by the end. Meet and talk to some characters. Close up shop around 8pm, we are starving. DBGB for dinner with Ed and Mark, Mike, and Man, an Asian fashion photographer friend of Ed's. Walk into DBGB at around 845 (it's Friday night and the place is packed), are told we can't be seated until 10, but Mark tells the host we are from Edward III (our bottles are sold in the restaurant), and he says "right this way," table for 5, and sits us next to Michael J. Fox. Baller. Back to the future! No drinks for me tonight, please, but the host gives us a first round of beers on the house. We all order the Yankee burger, topped off with complimentary desserts, one of which was on fire? Stomach full, clear eyes, can't lose - Mark and I are off to Florio's Cigar Lounge (192 Grand St., btw Mott & Mulberry), where I don't smoke cigars but I do drink some drink. Two Maker's on rocks and a Negroni (equal parts Campari, Gin, Sweet Vermouth), I'm feeling good sitting on a most comfortable leather couch. It is an interesting spot with interesting characters - I strike up a conversation with Joe and Moe, two JP Morgan bankers who graduated last year from BU and Cornell, respectively. I knew they were bankers before even talking to them, but we ended up conversing for an hour. I enjoyed this - they were down to earth, very chill dudes. Midnight, get in touch with Tao & Gonzo, and I race up to Hill Country BBQ (26th St., btw 5th & 6th) for Bruges's bday bash. Sidenote: my cab driver was mad cool, we talked about people dying in freak accidents, like that guy in Central Park last week who was crushed by a branch with 100pounds of snow on it. The whole crew is there, well, most of them. Gonzo hands me a whiskey as as I walk downstairs and a really awesome cover band is playing John Denver's "Country Roads" and some Lynyrd Skynyrd "Sweet Home Alabama," among other classics. Whiskey and a Lone Star, and I'm off to the Breslin for drinks with Rufus, Horchata, Wholly Foods, and Tomb Raider. I am wasted. We have a drink or two there and cab home around 2. I am in the front next to the driver and apparently talk to him about "imaginary drugs," so Wholly Foods tells me. It is not a late night, but it has been a looooong time since I've been sober. Bed @ 3. 
Wake up yesterday feeling like garbage. Crumpled up, chewed on, ripped-to-shreds garbage. Weather is beautiful, though, so Rufus and I go for an easy run in Riverside. Doesn't feel easy, but I need the exercise, because my heart might explode soon. Catch up with Robin Hood later in the day, grab some grub, and watch The Killers Criterion Collection. Hot bread, zee! Check out that new Mediterranean/Greek place next to the Heights, Vareli, with Sweats. It's actually real chill, they did a good job. Red wine and yogurt, and super hot servants. Aren't you, like, super annoyed that you just read this unnecessarily long blog post about, essentially, nothing? Because how could reading this have had a positive impact on your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment